A communication professor writes about the joys and challenges of scholarship at a flagship university. Welcome to the life of the mind!

Friday, September 17, 2010

Let's get the professor to do it.


When I tell friends about things my students say and do, 
they do not believe me.  Truly, I just could not make 
this stuff up.  Yesterday, I received the following e-mail from
one of my over 200 undergraduate students:
Professor Webb,
Is there anyway you can send me a syllabus for this class. 
I have some how lost it and cant seem to locate it on 
blackboard.
Thank You,
Student's First and Last Name
Here is how I responded:
First Name,
Your e-mail did not indicate in which of my classes you are enrolled.   
I am currently teaching two undergraduate courses:
 Communication and Conflict as well as Relational Communication.  I am not teaching the class Interpersonal Communication, to which you refer.  Did you mean to send this e-mail to a different one of your instructors or professors?  Both of my syllabi are available to students enrolled in my classes on BlackBoard -- ergo, my confusion 
in receiving your e-mail.  In case you(a) actually meant this e-mail for me, (b) missed the in-class announcement about the availability of the syllabus on BlackBoard, and (c) you do not know the name of the course in which you are enrolled, I have attached syllabi to both of my courses.  Good Luck!    
Cordially,
Lynne  
Here's another one I got this morning:
Hello Professor Webb,
My name is First and Last Name from your TuTh 
12:30-1:50pm class. I was just emailing you wondering, 
with all the notes that you have given us and  the reading assignments on the syllabus, what is the 
best way to study for the test on tuesday, and which 
concepts are you going to touch on the most on the 
test? Thank you for your time and I will see you for 
the test.
I replied as follows:
First Name:
Please know that the test includes questions from 
every lecture and every assigned chapter.  I 
encourage students to study it all.  Best way to study?  
Memorize definitions and lists.  Know them cold.  
Also, for every idea or concept, be able to ~provide~ 
an original example.  If you can do this, then you 
can apply the concepts and the application 
questions should be a breeze for you.  Good luck!  
I hope you earn a grade of A. 
Cordially, Lynne




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
div id="cse-search-results">